Sunday, July 1, 2012

Mini makeover

Since we are still waiting for our kitchen cabinet that got damaged during shipping to get replaced and are kind of at a stand still with that (not really, there's still plenty for Cody to do, I just have to force him!) I had to start my own project. Once I get a project in my mind, I can't wait to do them. It all started with our hideous hallway bath's gold shower door that looks like it hadn't been cleaned since it was put in in the 70-80s. Seriously, it was gross taking it out.

 I removed it fairly easily and was left with this:

 This is the point where I was thinking to myself "What the heck have I done?!" and wished I could have just put the door back up and pretend like I never touched it. But, surprisingly it came up with just some soap and water and CLR. I also used a razor blade to remove some of the old caulk. Once the shower door was off, I could actually see inside the tub pretty well and realized how disgustingly dirty it was. Oops. Sorry to whoever had to take showers in there :) I will clean it next time, I promise!!!! I literally took a razor blade the sides of the shower and soap scum flaked off. Makes me cringe.

Here's a before picture of the tiny bath. It really is a small space, and if I felt like spending more money, I would probably swap out the sink base for a pedestal sink...but those can be pretty pricey for a cheap girl like me. The wall tile has a weird wavy texture on it and it was a darker tan color that faded to a light skin color. I hated it. Again, the original plan for this bath was to basically gut it and put wains coating and new tile in the shower and an actual tile floor (that's vinyl in it now). I wanted to remove the mirror and put a small one over the sink. I would have still done that, but the light is centered over the giant mirror right now and didn't think it would look right with a light that wasn't centered over the mirror. And I'm lazy and this was a quick cheap makeover that we can eventually build upon.

  

I ended up just cleaning the tile, putting a coat of primer and then painting the tile and walls...and this is what I got:


 Haven't touched the window yet...I want to add some trim to the window and get new wood blinds for it.
I also got a new satin nickel towel holder and toilet paper holder from Target that I love! I would have preferred a towel bar, but it wasn't going to fit, so towel ring it was!

 Ok, that's it for now. I still want to do a couple more small upgrades to it and clean the shower, but overall, it was super cheap (the only paint I had to buy was an $11 quart of wall paint). I did buy a new shower curtain and rod and rug, but overall, not too bad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment