Tuesday, March 6, 2012

More basement and other random stuff

Our house is a complete mess. We went from having a "kitchen bedroom" in our old apartment to having a "kitchen living room" today. Yes, we got our new sectional (!) today and our original plans were to put our old couches in the basement. Unfortunately, we started this basement reno project and all our crap from the laundry room is in the way. So we will be having a kitchen living room for awhile. Yay!

Our sectional is absolutely fabulous!! It fits great. It's big enough to fill this awkward long living room but doesn't obstruct the walking paths. It's also a light color, which scares me, but I'm glad we went with it rather than the darker grey colors we thought we were going to get. Our house is pretty dark so the white helps to brighten it up a little. We definitely need to get some new pillows and art on the wall! Here are our babies already claiming their spots. This sectional is huge--Cody and I can both lay down and there's still two cushions left for the cats! I'm not so sure about the rug in this room now, either, but good thing it was cheap. I may put it down in the basement when we finish the rest of it.


Butter still prefers to lay on the plaid couch on his pink cupcake blankey: (no, that's not a carton of real eggs--they are chocolate covered marshmallow eggs)


Meanwhile, the basement has been making slow progress. We had to hook up our sink and washer and dryer so we could do laundry tonight--Cody ran out of underwear--I think he should just buy more so that we can go more than 10 days without clean laundry! We went home this weekend for a wedding, so we couldn't get as much done as we wanted. We took Friday and Saturday off and Sunday we finished the drain pipe for the laundry sink. It was freaking scary cutting off the main drain pipe from the kitchen above, but we did it!! So far, after 3 loads of laundry and running the dishwasher, it hasn't leaked or busted out sewer gas--I feel more hopeful now.
 Last night, we built a little stand for the machines to get a little more level since the floor slopes so much for the drainage purposes. It's pretty cool, and puts the washer and dryer up a couple of inches which is actually pretty nice and doesn't hurt my back as much. However, the washer shakes a lot and therefore it shakes the whole stand and we might have to destroy it. We'll see.

We also tried to hook up the sink last night, but we were missing something, so that means another fun run to Lowe's today. Here's Butter doing what he does best--being curious.
 Tonight, we got it all temporarily hooked up and did three loads of laundry. We wanted to drain our washer to the laundry hook up thing on the wall, but there's something about the pipe size being smaller than we need  and didn't want it to back up, so we just decided to not press our luck as much since we don't really know what we are doing and just keep it draining to the sink. We really should have some type of venting pipe in this system, so we'll see how it goes. 
 I'm tired of writing now so here's just a few more pictures of our house lately:

 I might have freaked out when the delivery guys kept bringing in bags and bags of cushions. I thought for sure the sectional was going to be too big!!

  Our gorgeous dining room view from the kitchen.

 Cupcake and Butter both learned how to actually lap up the water from the faucet. They are both obsessed with running water now.  She's quite proud.

In other news, I'm trying to figure out some history of our house. I'm really thinking it was a prefab panelized Gunnison home because of the way the walls in Cody's office are:

 Cody painted this room--don't blame me for the bad trim work (sorry, Cody)! It looks better in person.
I don't know why I am so excited about having a prefab home, but I kind of am. Ours has been drywalled over in most rooms. The office is the only original walls left other than in the closets. Apparently Gunnison homes were sold to U.S Steel in 1953, the year before our house was built, and we just so happen to have a US steel beam in our basement! I'm looking for the plaque that they put in the utility rooms in the old homes, but ours has a basement, and I am scared of our utility room so maybe I'll look during the day tomorrow. I'll let you know! I'm also trying to find the original floor plan of the home (why, I don't know because I know what it is) but there's not much info I can find on the Gunnison homes online. Search for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment